Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

45 Minute Intruder


What is up with the intruder?!? Holden has always been a really great sleeper at night - he usually goes to sleep around 6:30 PM, gets up around 7:30 AM, and wakes up once or twice.  I don't even wake up half the time since we co-sleep (more on that later) and the whole side-laying breastfeeding has worked amazingly for us (I'm pretty sure he latches on himself most of the time which Dustin and I still think is crazy).  However, figuring out the whole nap schedule thing hasn't been as easy.  Holden was never one of the babies to fall asleep in the middle of the day when he was tired. Instead, Holden would just get more and more fussy until he was rocked to sleep. As a new mom, I was so confused why he was upset because I thought if he was tired and I laid him down, then he would fall asleep (hey, the other babies in playgroup did it).  Now that Holden and I have each other figured out, we've got a good little system going and I'm able to anticipate when he is getting sleepy.  Based on the amount of time he is awake and little signals he gives me (rubbing eyes, yawning, etc.) I can be proactive about it.  Now his longest naps are when he is in the carrier - and they can last up to two hours - but if I put him in the bed to sleep, he will wake up within 45 minutes on the dot. I've tried letting him lay there to go back to sleep and I've tried picking him up and rocking him back to sleep, but the little man is awake, happy, and rearing to go. A few months ago my reaction to the intruder was a borderline meltdown but now I don't let the whole sleep thing bother me anymore. As long as Holden is happy, I am happy. But even though it doesn't bother me, I'm just curious when he will develop consistent naps. Are there babies that take four or five 45-minute naps a day and that's just how it is? Or will Holden develop a two nap schedule?
little baby, big bed

No comments:

Post a Comment